Saturday, November 29, 2008

My Life being Disabled 29/11/08

This morning one of the life skill co-ordinators asked me if I wanted to go to the 'Christingle' in Barnsley tomorrow at 13:00. I said I wanted to go but I didn't know what a Christingle was. I look it up on the web and found:

The Christingle has its origins in a Moravian children's service held in a castle in Germany on Christmas Eve in 1747.
The bishop conducting the informal service gave each child a lighted candle, tied with a red ribbon, in memory of the Saviour's coming which he said has kindled a flame in each heart which keeps burning "to His joy, and our happiness".
Much later, this simple candle was replaced by a more elaborate Christingle which is rich in symbolism.
Our modern Christingle consists of:
an orange . . . representing the world
a red ribbon, tied round the orange . . . representing the blood of Jesus
fruits and sweets, skewered on 4 cocktail sticks which are pushed into the orange . . . representing God's good gifts - the fruits of the earth and the four seasons
a lighted candle, pushed into the centre of the orange . . . representing Christ, the light of the world

I look forward to tomorrow !

One of the carers told me he is taking me to the rugby league match this afternoon. Grimethorpe are playing Silsden Park Rangers are playing at 14:00. Silsden are the bottom team in the 5th Division of the Pennine League but Grimethorpe are next to them at 10th. So it should be a good match.

No comments: