Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Life being Disabled 23/01/11

On Friday morning my carer came in my bedroom at 05:55 to wake me up because I was attending the Royal Hallamshire Hospital Day Care Centre for 7 teeth taking out. I had attended on Wednesday for a pre-operation appointment. I cleaned my teeth, had a shave and got dressed. I went to the dining room and had my breakfast. My transport should have come at 07:00 because my appointment was for 09:00.
My transport came at 09:00 it was the same contractor that took me on Wednesday. We arrived at the hospital at 10:05 and I was taken straight into a room where my coat and shirt was taken off. The nurse put a gown on and she said I could leave my trousers on. I moved to a bedroom where I was suppose to transfer to a bed. The hoist did not fit under the bed so I was transferred to a chair/bed then I was tranferred to a bed by the nurses using a slip sheet. After 30 minutes I was taken to the operating theatre where I found out I was the last operation for the team who started this morning at 07:00.
They took my blood pressure and took my blood/sugar level(10.4) and connected me up to a monitor which measured my ECG. The anethisis gave me a general which was an injection to my arm.

I remember waking up at 14:10 in the recovery room. The nurses were monitoring me and I was told I could go this afternoon if everything was O.K.. At 15:30 my mouth was still bleeding so the nurse said it would be better if I stayed overnight. At 16:00 I was taken to ward I1 and had some soup, ice cream and a cup of coffee. I paid £5 for my phone, television and internet connection for 24 hours. I watched the television all night and didn't go to sleep.
I had my breakfast at 08:30 which was porridge, toast and a cup of coffee but I couldn't eat the toast because it was too hard. The carers came to wash me, change my clothes and tranfer me into my wheelchair. I sat in my wheelchair and tried my internet but it failed. I phone the operator who said the support team start work at 11:00. At 11:05 my transport arrived and 12:00 I was back in Dearnevale nursing home. The hospital had gived me two letters one for my home and one for my GP. They told me to contact my dentist and gave me some mouthwash, paracetomels and some codeine.

I had some soup for dinner and watched my television all afternoon. At 16:15 I asked a carer if she would unplug my Sky+ from the mains because I'd been having problems with it since the caretakers tested my electrical eqipment. I had my soup for tea and went back to my bedroom to watch a DVD. I turn my DVD on but I couldn't get it on my television. I asked my carers to look at it and they found a loose connection. They fixed it and put my Sky back on. I watch the television until 22:30 and went to bed. I feel asleep straight away and was woken up at 06:00 by my nurse who gave me a mouthwash and cleaned my face because it was covered in blood.
I woke up at 08:15 and cleaned my teeth, had a shave, had a shower and got dressed. I had weetabix and coffee vfor breakfast.

No comments: