Tuesday, February 12, 2013

My Life being Disabled 12/02/13

Yesterday I logged off at 15:30 because I wanted to get changed for I'm going to The Cinnamon Lounge in Horbury Bridge near Wakefield. We set off at 17:20 in our minibus. There were Skills driving and Skills as a carer with myself and another wheelchair user. We arrived at 18:00 and were given 2 tables because of the wheelchairs. We ordered some drinks and ordered our meals. I had Onion Bajas and Nawab Khana. This is the most complex of all great curries, comprising 21 ingredients each roasted individually prior to being grained which helps bring a deep rich brown colour to this mouth-watering dish. Our starters arrived in 15 minutes and main courses arrived 10 minutes after the waiter had cleared the table. The food was good, the service was good and the atmosphere was little bland because the restaurant was quiet. We finished after having coffee and mints at 20:00. We arrived home at 20:50 and went my room to watch television. At 22:00 I asked a carer if I could to bed.
This morning I woke up at 04:30 and watched television until 08:15 when I told a carer that I was ready for my bladder wash. After I cleaned my teeth, showered, changed my leg bag to a siphon bag and got dressed. I went to the dining room and had my breakfast. I asked a carer if they could find out what time I'm going to Asda to buy the ingredients for my Chilli con Carne that I'm cooking this afternoon at 15:00. I went to my room, picked my recipe up..................

Ingredients


4 tbsp vegetable oil 
500g/1lb 2oz good-quality beef mince 
2 onions, diced
 garlic cloves, crushed
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, dice
3 different coloured peppers, diced 
5 chilli peppers, diced
1 heaped tsp chilli powder 
1 heaped tsp ground cumin 
1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon 
salt and freshly ground black pepper
 1 x 400g/14oz can red kidney beans, drained
2 x 400g/14oz cans chopped tomatoes
1 x Chilli con Carne mix

Preparation method

  1. Heat two tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the mince and fry until golden-brown all over.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a saucepan over a medium to high heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots, celery and peppers and fry until softened.
  3. Add the chilli powder, cumin and cinnamon and season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fry for a further 4-5 minutes, stirring well.
  4. Remove the mince from the pan using a slotted spoon and add to the vegetable mixture.
  5. Add the Chilli con Carne mix, tomatoes and red kidney beans and simmer it for at least 1 hour.  

No comments: