Monday, June 20, 2011

My Life being Disabled 20/06/11

Yesterday I went to room at 17:30 put my feet up and watched the television. At 22:00 I asked a carer if I could go to bed.
This morning I woke up at 06:00 and watched the television until 08:15 when I asked a carer if I could get up. I asked them to changed my leg bag to a siphon bag. I cleaned my teeth, shaved, showered and got dressed. I went to the dining room and had my breakfast. I asked a carer if they would asked the caretaker if he would my son's helicopter from the roof. I went to the computer room and logged at 09:56. I checked my email and I had recieved a reply from Bradford Bulls regarding my complaint. I wrote back with more information......

Ryan,
Thanks for your prompt reply but here are some details that I forgot to raise.

1. I was not informed when I bought my ticket that it was in Section D and it is NOT compliant with DDA.
In fact the person who phoned me didn't know as she didn't mention it.

2. At the moment there are 3 stadiums that are as bad as Odsal for disabled facilities, Castleford, Hull KR and Wakefield.
But these have plans to upgrade.

3. Your disabled toilet facilities are poor and why do we have take our RADAR key or get a steward to open it ?
No other stadium does this.

4. I was dropped off at the stand entrance and we were early because the stand was closed. My vehicle had to park in Section D
in a muddy field. After the match my driver couldn't pick me up because all the traffic was going the other way.

I have copied to Gillian for info.

Mick Tillotson
0774 3453810


From: ryan.duckett@bradfordbulls.co.uk
To: tillo@hotmail.co.uk
Subject: RE: A Disabled Complaint
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:12:39 +0100

Hi Mick

I have had your e.mail forwarded to me regarding your issues with the disabled facilities at Odsal Stadium. Unfortunately the area that you watched the St Helens match from is not one of our official compliant wheelchair user spaces and is an area that has been created as an overflow area. This has been necessary due to the extra demand for wheelchair user spaces this season on the back of our new reduced price structure. You should have been told this when you purchased your ticket for section D and I apologise if this was not the case.

In 2003 we upgraded our disabled facilities and the seating areas in section C,E and F of the main stand are all DDA compliant as are the designated disabled parking spaces and the toilet facilities. Due to the demand this year and last we have created the overflow area I have referred to in section D as well as the back of section G. These are only temporary facilities and we are looking to obtain some funding to try and build some new compliant facilities in other areas of the Stadium. This is not something we have to do but something we want to do as we want our Stadium to be as accessible as possible.

Despite some of your comments I do think our facilities are better than a number of stadium’s within the league and in fact we have won awards for our current facilities and provision for disabled persons. All our facilities and provision have been implemented in conjunction with the Rugby League’s Disabled Supporters Association which is chaired by Gillian Johnson. If you want to discuss these issues you can contact Gillian on 01274 587330.

I hope you will choose to attend matches at Odsal in the future. If you do decide to attend a match in the future I would suggest that you try and book well in advance to ensure you can purchase one of the seats in the official wheelchair spaces in section C, E or F. With regards to parking in the future, our official wheelchair parking bays are reserved for our season ticket holders but we also designate an overflow area adjacent to these spaces in car park D. These are however allocated on a first come served basis and I would therefore suggest that you arrive early to ensure access. There should certainly be no need for you to have to get stuck in a muddy field. If you do arrive late and there are no spaces left on the main car park I would suggest that you get dropped off at the entrance to the main stand and picked up from the same point after the match. This is something that a number of supporters do on a regular basis and our stewards will be happy to assist you if necessary.

I hope this helps answer your questions in some way but please do not hesitate to contact me if you want to discuss anything further.

Regards

Ryan

Ryan Duckett

Chief Executive

No comments: